The most awaited update of Android SDK is finally available! Most notable change in this release is the new user interface; I really feel this time that I’m on a Linux-based mobile phone. The interface looks really much better and definitely ready for the prime time, even with work in progress. The bad news is that for the first time we started talking about “porting an application” and “API change”. At this time everything is under development, but it’s worrying for the future of Android platform if we see many version of the SDK where applications are not compatible and have to be changed and recompiled, and go back to old times !
Highlighted features in this release :
- New user interface – totally remodeled interface, new design and icons, looks much better.
- Layout animations – Developers can now create layout animations for their applications using the capabilities introduced in the android.view.animation package
- Geo-coding - android.location.Geocoder enables developers to forward and reverse geo-code (i.e. translate an address into a coordinate and vice-versa), and also search for businesses.
- New media codecs – The MediaPlayer class has added support for the OGG Vorbis, MIDI, XMF, iMelody, RTTL/RTX, and OTA audio file formats.
- Search Manager – A new search API is now available android.app.SearchManager, providing the ability to to search for user, system or network based data, making search a seamless, system-wide feature.
- Updated Eclipse plug-in – A new version of ADT is available and provides improvements to the Android developer experience. In particular, check out the new Android Manifest editor.
Something very interesting in the new interface is the new menus. Now it is more iphone-like – if I can say – Menus have been iconized which make it easier for touchscreen phones, and we can see the blurred menus by the end, so you can scroll down/up to see more menu options. To dig into the new Android interface here is some screenshots from the new SDK :
Home of the Android Platform
Android Dev Tools
Browser Menu replaced by icons
By clicking on more you get the entire menu
Android New Contact
Android Call Manager